From the time of the founding of the College of the State, scientific research activities have been carried out. At the end of the XIX century, the cabinets of Physics,
Natural History, Bacteriology and Chemistry were created and in the first decades of the XX century the Seismological and Meteorological stations were put in place. In 1958, the Institute of Biology and experimental Medicine was created and in the recently founded School of Physics and Mathematics, incipient research began to be carried out. As of 1974, with the creation of the Institute of Sciences (ICUAP), there has been very active research activity in the BUAP which places it today as oneof the top public institutions in Mexico because of its high levels of internationally recognized scientific production.
The first two graduate programs, a Master’s of Science and Doctorate in Physics, were established soon after the creation of ICUAP. This offer has grown in the last twenty years at an accelerated pace and the development of graduate programs is closely linked to an increased academic capacity and the development of scientific and technological research in the various fields of knowledge.
Research activities are nowadays carried out in all areas of knowledge and in all the schools and faculties of the University, but especially in the five research institutes whose primary functions are the generation of knowledge and the preparation of toprate professionals in their fields.
• Institute of Sciences (ICUAP). Founded in 1973. Currently, its research areas are in: microbiology, semiconductors, chemistry, biology, zeolites, mathematics and sustainable
development. It offers graduate programs in Microbiology, Semiconductors,Environmental Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Sustainable Management of Agro-ecosystems
and Science Education.
• Institute of Physics “Luis Rivera Terrazas”. This was founded in 1990, expanding the Department of Physics in the Institute of Sciences. It was named after one of the most distinguished scientists in the history of the University. It carries out scientific and applied research in all areas of physics. It has graduate programs in Physics and Materials sciences.
• Institute in Social Sciences and the Humanities “Alfonso Vélez Pliego”. Created in 1991, it carries out research in philosophy, history, anthropology, sociology, language sciences and other disciplines. It has graduate programs in Anthropology, History, Sociology and Language Sciences.
• Institute of Physiology. In 1995, The Department of Physiological Sciences of the ICUAP was transformed into an institute. Its scientists carry out research in the fields of Neuroscience and Cardiovascular Physiology. Its researchers participate in the undergraduate program in Biomedicine and it offers a Masters and Doctorate in Physiological Sciences.
• Institute in Governmental Sciences and Strategic Development (ICGDE). This is the most recent of the scientific institutes, founded in 2012. It carries out theoretical and applied research in the fields of government, politics, public opinion and strategic development. It offers consulting and advising services and has graduate programs at the masters and doctoral levels in government, politics, public opinion and strategic development.
In addition to these institutes, BUAP has other research centers such as the Center for Bio-molecular Detection and the Program for Semiotics and Signification Studies.
Relevant to BUAP’s plans for internationalization of its research and scientific activities is its collaboration with the European Council for Nuclear Research (Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire. CERN) which dates from 30 years back together with the Pierre Auger project –a long-term project in astro-physics– the work carried out there by BUAP researchers has gained international recognition.
Our researchers collaborate with their peers in various institutions in Germany, the United States, Chile, Australia, Canada, Spain, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Argentina and Uruguay among several other countries. These collaborations are in all areas of knowledge including social sciences and the humanities.